Friday, July 12, 2013

Welcome back, accountability and the whole 30


I started this blog a long time ago. When I started it, I lived in a different state, had a different job, did not have a baby, and was unhappy with my weight and needed some accountability.  So what's changed?  New state, new job, the presence of an amazing little girl in my life and the continuing presence of her amazing dada.  And truth be told, I am actually pretty dang proud of the fact that I have lost the baby weight and then some (she is almost 2 years old, so I'm not going to brag TOO much). However, I have a few (admittedly vanity) pounds I want to lose, but more importantly, I have realized over the past few months how much of a control food has over my life. When I'm stressed, I eat. When I'm happy, I eat. And eat, and eat, and eat. And not good things. So in my constant quest to become healthier, a better role model for my daughter, and just happier, I've been looking into ways to loose those last few pounds, but also to do it in a manner that is healthy and sustainable.  A good friend of mine has been an advocate of "paleo" or "whole food" eating for quite some time. So I bought the book (It Starts with Food) and quickly read through it. Twice.

The premise of the program is pretty simple. Whole foods. Foods with very few items on the ingredient list, and nothing processed. I know you're all thinking "holy cow, that means she can't eat ANYTHING." So yea, it is a bit restrictive compared to what I normally would eat. It will force me to adapt. Greatly. But it will also force me to think about everything I eat, too. Where does it come from? Do I really want to put that in my body? Is this going to make me healthier or unhealthier?  I'm not going to go into the program. You can find out all the details here, or buy the book. :)

Now, just to put a few things out there:

1. I don't 100% agree with everything in the book. BUT, I also don't 100% agree with everything that I eat. And I can do anything for 30 days, right?

2. This is going to require some serious planning. And cooking. With an almost two year old that DEMANDS dinner. On time. :) It will take some getting used to!

3. I'm excited. And nervous. And more than a little afraid of failing.

So why did I start this blog again? Because I need accountability. I need a place to put pictures of what I eat, when I eat it. Without driving my facebook and instagram friends crazy. I am sure I'm going to have some frustrations and I need a place for that, too. So follow along if you like, but I'm going to be real here, this is for me. I'm going to be selfish! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment