Saturday, July 13, 2013

Getting started


As part of the Whole30 program, I signed up to receive their daily email throughout my 30 days. I told them when I planned to start (Monday) and they send an email with inspiration, tough love and an accountability button (or something like that) every day. The first one came yesterday (which was actually Day -2) and had instructions for cleaning out the fridge/pantry, stocking up on compliant foods, and setting goals.  We didn't completely strip the pantry and fridge, since Adi won't be eating totally compliant, but we did do some massive cleaning. And just to clarify, the ice cream in the freezer went into the trash - we didn't have a big ice cream party this evening to finish it! :)

I will say that our shopping trip today looked totally different from normal. Very few trips up aisles, mostly shopping along the edges (meat cases, produce, etc). I did grab a few bags of steamer veggies for nights when we need a little extra. It was also a little more expensive and we aren't quite done yet. There were a few veggies/fruits that didn't look good in El Cheapo store, so we are stopping at The Nicer store tomorrow after church. We also didn't find much in the way of compliant bacon or sausage, so I think we'll try to make our own sausage (it's just ground pork and spices, after all) and I may send hubby to Whole Foods to check for bacon (or maybe I'll use it as an excuse to go to Whole Foods one of these days. Dang, I wish it were closer). I should have taken a picture of all the fruit and veggies... maybe tomorrow I'll remember!

So, in the interest of being totally committed, my Day 0 email said to set some SMART goals, in up to three of the "Whole 9" areas (Nutrition, Sleep, Stress Management, Exercise, Active Recovery, Injury Rehab, Fun and Play, Personal Growth, & Temperance).  Here they are:

Nutrition: I will eat breakfast. Before coffee. Every day.

Fun and Play: I will turn my phone completely OFF for 4-6 hours every weekend (and not overnight. When Adi is awake. :))

Stress Management: I will take a lunch break every day at work. Away from my desk (!).

I will take before and after photos and measurements, but I haven't decided if I'll share those now, or later, or at all. I don't know how brave I am yet. And I'm hoping I kick this cold before Monday, because I may be really grumpy the first few days if I'm changing so much about my diet AND I feel like an elephant is sitting on my sinuses. Not good for anyone!

1 comment: