Thursday, July 18, 2013

Good morning, Day Four!

 
Hi. Thanks for reading. (Just getting that out there, ya know? Because I'm really bad at coming up at ways to start my blog posts. I always want to start out with "So...." and that's really bad, right? Not good english? or good writing? So (see, there I go again), I thought I'd start with saying Hi. Can't go wrong with that, right?)
 
Anyways, we're doing this Whole30 thing right? It's been interesting this week. The food has been pretty yummy (I mean, come on - we made bacon and apple pork burgers (from PaleOMG, I'll get the link here soon) with baked sweet potato fries sprinkled with cinnamon. How awesome is that?). Jared likes playing around and has been making his own flavored mayos, which spices up things like egg, tuna and chicken salad. And I've been choking down my breakfasts. To sum up the first few days, here are a few lists:
 
What's been working:
  •  The food. I mean seriously. Look at this yumminess:
  • Drinking water. I have been drinking more water in the last few days than I have in a very long time. Turns out I really like water with lemon juice.
  • Lunches. Lunches are pretty easy for me to stay on program.
  • Cooking dinner. We are doing a LOT more cooking for dinner. It has worked out so far this week, that, except for one night, Adi hasn't had any major melt downs while we've been doing so - and that night, Jared left to take the dogs to the vet and I managed to get her to "help" and everything was good. It's also about 72 bajillion degrees in our kitchen on hot summer days, so we're sweating our butts off cooking, but hey, whatevs.
What's been challenging:
  • Breakfast. I knew breakfast was going to be challenging, but dang. I have to have something sweet or I gag up my egg muffins (which are super yummy any other time of day). I've tried just hard boiled eggs, but it's not much better. I might need to look into other breakfast ideas.
  • Packing Adi's lunch. I never realized how much I snacked while I packed her lunch. It's been odd, because it hasn't been tempting as far as the food (i.e. I'm not packing her lunch thinking MUST. EAT. THE. CHEESE STICK), but it's been hard to break the habit of licking this spoon, or having a cracker while I pack her crackers, etc.
  • Snacking. I sit at my desk most of the day, and it's really hard not to snack in the afternoon. After reading today's W30 email and knowing myself, I'm pretty confident that it's just boredom/middle of the afternoon snacking, not actual hunger.
What's been fun:
  • Trying new foods!
  • Spending time with Jared cooking in the kitchen, making lunches, etc. It is time consuming, but doing it together makes it better.

My goals for the next few days are to stop the mindless afternoon snacking and to keep up the water intake. I'd like to do some running again but it has been so blessedly hot here (I know, I know, suck it up, this isn't GA/FL ;) ) that I haven't been able to do much. It's supposed to cool off next week, so I'll try to sneak in a run or two in the evening. Morning runs (during the week) are pretty much impossible at this point, since Adi is still waking up so early.

No comments:

Post a Comment