Monday, October 18, 2010

Week Three, here I come!

It's officially been two weeks today. Two weeks of trying, failing, succeeding, feeling good, feeling bad. Two weeks of real life, where I've managed to make some small changes, to incorporate some ideas into my routine.

What has worked:
1. Taking water with me for the drive to work. For some reason, if I'm in the car, I can drink water. Dunno why, but hey, I'm not complaining. I get 24 ounces in on the way to work, and I'm almost half way to my 8 cups for the day.

2. Tracking what I eat. I mentioned before that I use Spark People to track. It's easy, fairly convienent and has a pretty wide variety of foods already entered. I haven't needed to enter many of my own, which is nice. And a neat option -- they also have a recipe calculator where you enter your recipe ingredients/amounts and how many servings it prepares, and voila! calories and nutrients calculated.

3. Working out. Ok, so this has kind of worked. I have been riding 2-3 times a week (good cardio, also good upperbody/core workout thanks to the Smirk pony who can be a little bit of a pain in the rear), and have been trying to walk/jog/skate 2 times a week with the hubby and dogs.

About the gym membership.... I have one, but don't use it often so will probably cancel it in the next few weeks. We started out the year doing pretty well at going 3x/week after work but recently that's becoming increasingly hard as we've both become busy with some projects outside of work (church, photography, etc).  So I think our plan is to cancel the gym membership, save the $75/month and purchase some of our own (small) equipment and maybe a bike for me. Hopefully that will work out!

What hasn't worked:
Confession: I made cookies yesterday. And ate batter. And cookies. I'm still not thinking healthy yet. If I'm not on guard 24/7, I slip into my old habbits. Like yesterday. And like a few days ago, when I was feeling sorry for myself and let that influence my choices. I'm still not out of the mindset of feeding my emotion, feeding my issues.

So, with all of that in mind, here are my goals for this week:

1. To be mindful of what I'm doing, and why I am doing it. I read somewhere this week that someone asks herself "Is eating this going to make today a better day?" before she picks up a cookie, or a brownie, etc. So true!  There will be pie and cookies and all of that good stuff tomorrow. and the next day. and the day after. There's no reason I need to eat that today (or even tomorrow!).

2. Continue to exercise. I would really like to be consistently working out 5x/week in some form. Last week I worked out 4x. I'm planning for 5 this week! :)

3. Continue to track every. little. bite.  There have been a few days the last two weeks that I haven't tracked, for various reasons. If I can't get near a computer to track this week, I will write down what I'm eating. No excuses!

No comments:

Post a Comment