Saturday, August 17, 2013

I can't

Clara wrote this on Facebook yesterday and it got me thinking.

Two months ago, I was saying "I can't."  No way I could give up bread. Or milk. Or pasta. Or cheese. What would I eat?!? Then I had a really frustrating eating weekend and realized that when I was saying "I can't" what I was really saying was "I won't. I don't want to." And suddenly this Whole30 thing became possible. Not easy, but possible. I mean, it's only 30 days, right? I can do anything for 30 days. And if I kept telling myself that "I can't", do you know what's going to happen? I won't! 

Spas a reminder to myself, the next time I say I can't do something.  Is it really that I can't (can't keep doing this? Can't fit exercise in? Can't do something else?) or is it that I don't want to, or I won't? Two totally different statements, my friends! So if we talk about this, don't tell me you can't. Because I will probably tell you that "no, you can, you just aren't willing to." And I'm sorry (in advance) if that upsets you, but that's the truth. 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks!! (Incidentally, I wrote this three times, because my phone deleted it twice. :( boo typing a blog post on an iphone, but I was inspired after my run this morning!)

      Delete