Sunday, September 1, 2013

But don't you miss...

Ice cream? Pasta? Bread? Milk? Cheese? Beer? Well yes. And no, too.

This is something that almost always comes up in a conversation with friends and family about what I'm eating these days. It's an honest and well-meaning question, so I answer as honest and truly as I can. Yes and no. There are days when I think "A beer would be nice" and there are days when dang it, I just have a beer (or an Angry Orchard hard cider, which I recently discovered is gluten free, yay!).  But honestly, I don't feel deprived. At this point, this is a choice I am making - what to eat and how to eat it. Since finishing up my Whole30, I have had a bit of chocolate (a chocolate covered banana and a square of Jared's dark chocolate with sea salt, yum) and a hard cider. Nothing else in my control has been off of the program. I'm sure that some of the times we've eaten out, there's been some added sugar, or sulfates or other additives that aren't Whole30 approved. But overall, for the last 45+ days, I have stuck to the program.  I am sure that at some point, I will eat some cheese. Tonight, I ate a bit of Adi's strawberry ice cream (probably about three bites, total - she wasn't very interested in sharing. ;) ). But that was a choice and not one I felt I had no control over. A few days ago, I went out with colleagues to celebrate a funded grant and had a hard cider. I don't feel guilty, because these are choices. And I'm in control - I can have one drink. I can have three bites of ice cream. I can have one square of chocolate. And then the next day, I can eat healthily and make good choices.

THAT is why my answer is complicated. So yes, I do miss things sometimes. And when I miss them enough, or there's a good enough reason for me to make a choice to say yes, I have them. But I don't need bread every day. I don't need milk everyday. I certainly don't need ice cream or chocolate or alcohol every day. And I'm happy living this way. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment