Sunday, January 11, 2015

Moderation is not sexy


It's not. Not at all. There are no big revelations in today's post. No big announcements. No big "LOOK AT THE AWESOME, HUGE, INCREDIBLE THING I JUST DID THIS WEEK." Nope, none of that here.  Because choosing moderation looks normal. It's incredibly hard and has been a bit of a struggle this week. But it doesn't look hard. Because it's not depriving myself (which results in feeling bad). It's also not completely indulging myself, which also results in feeling bad.  It's about choosing moderate, middle of the road choices.

For example: Today was church lunch.  And, at our church, we LOVE to eat. I would feel very comfortable saying that church lunch day is the best attended service of the month. And our people, they do know how to cook.  Luckily, the theme for today was soup and salad, so it was easier than normal to make good, middle of the road choices. So middle of the road for me, today, looked like a very big plate of salad and a small bowl of beef/spinach soup. No bread. No dessert. Was it filling? Yes.  Over-indulgent? Nope. Depriving? Definitely not. I came away feeling proud of myself. But to anyone on the outside, what I ate was perfectly normal. Not exciting. Not sexy.

So here's the run down for the rest of the week:

Good things: 

Again, tracked all week! This really keeps me honest/mindful, so I'm happy to be doing it.

Ordered and received my Garmin Forerunner 15.  So far, I'm pretty happy with it. A few negatives (no bluetooth sync'ing, it's a little big, and I'm not sure how accurate the pedometer/activity part is) but I'm loving that it reminds me to get up and move every hour and that I have a "goal" for steps to reach.  I'm such a data nerd that I like seeing that information about my days.

Listened to the Moderation365 webcast on Monday.  It was good (see my thoughts on it here), and I'm looking forward to listening to tomorrow night's webcast as well.

Got my hair cut! Six inches off and it feels fantastic!

Need to Improve list:

Still didn't get much activity in.  Dang cold weather! I need to commit to using my treadmill more and finding fewer excuses.

Weight change:- 2.4 lb  I'll certainly take that!

This week's goals:

One run, inside or out.

Track everything.

Listen to #Moderation365 webcast on Monday, or Tuesday if need be.

Have a fantastic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment